March 11, 2010

Joy in Self-forgetfulness

Helen Keller, who was deaf and blind since childhood, said:
"Is it not true that my life, with all its limitations, touches at many points the beauty in life? Everything has its wonders, even darkness and silence, and I learn whatever state I may be in, therein to be content. Sometimes, it is true, a sense of isolation enfolds me like a cold mist as I sit alone and wait at life's shut gate. Beyond there is light and music and sweet companionship, but I may not enter. ... Silence sits immense upon my soul.
"Then comes Hope with a smile and whispers, 'There is joy in self-forgetfulness.' So I try to make the light in others' eyes my sun, the music in others' ears my symphony, the smile on others' lips my happiness."

At times what helps me gain perspective when I'm mad, sad or disheartened is to think of others who have it a lot worse than I do. And yet, they still get up in the morning, they still shine on life with their smiles, they keep trying and making the most of what life gave to them. There are those people, and I want to be one of them.
History has shown, that those with seeming lacks, physical hindrances or limitations, at great odds or with big difficulties, overcame. It didn't matter what it was.
Helen Keller, Fanny Crosby, Isaac Watts, Renoir, the apostle Paul are a few names I can think of.
They each learned to be content with what God had given them, and yet they weren't complacent. They went beyond what the world thought they could do, and even jumped outside the limitations they had placed on themselves.
I know achieving contentment in life is hard, but if there's people who can, then I can too. Their lives are a living testimony to it, even if it's passed.
And I have it so much better.
Why not do it and strive to be content in "whatsoever state I'm in"? It's doable, and I have every reason to do it cause my life will be better as a result, even if it's tough.
Today I heard: "If it's not worth fighting for, maybe it's not worth attaining".
It didn't have any relevance to this, except it showed me how worthwhile things have a price and must be fought for. Being content in life is worth it to me. Help me Jesus.
I toast to Helen Keller, to blindness and to sight, to sickness and health, to rich and poor, to hard times and happy times, to simplicity. And to having our eyes open to how beautiful life is, as rough as it is, it's still worth fighting for!

0 comments:

 
Copyright © Carving a living dream