January 19, 2010

The Scarlet Letter

This account always had an impact on me, every time I read it, the story of how this novel came to be.

When Nathaniel, a heartbroken man, went home to tell his wife that he was a failure and had been fired from his job in a customhouse, she surprised him with an exclamation of joy.
“Now,” she said triumphantly, “you can write your book!”
“Yes,” replied the man, with sagging confidence, “and what shall we live on while I am writing it?”
To his amazement, she opened a drawer and pulled out a substantial amount of money.
“Where on earth did you get that?” he exclaimed.
“I have always known you were a man of genius,” she told him. “I knew that someday you would write a masterpiece. So every week, out of the money you gave me for housekeeping, I saved a little bit. So here is enough to last us for one whole year.”
From her trust and confidence came one of the greatest novels of American literature, The Scarlet Letter.
-Nido Qubein

It makes me think of what a difference it can make when you believe in someone and when you help yourself and others even when no one notices your efforts, love always pays off.



Nathaniel and Sophia Hawthorne

I looked up both of their biographies and found this:
Together the couple etched their impressions of their new married life in the glass of a window in the study using Sophia's diamond ring:
Man's accidents are God's purposes. Sophia A. Hawthorne 1843
Nath Hawthorne This is his study
The smallest twig leans clear against the sky
Composed by my wife and written with her diamond
Inscribed by my husband at sunset, April 3, 1843. In the Gold light.


..."'Man's accidents are God's purposes."

Isn't Nathaniel soo handsome?!
-bright lil smile-


2 comments:

Rosie said...

Really?! I hated that book, I had to read it for school, and disliked every second of it..but I guess we're all different

Stephanie said...

Oh I haven't even read the book, I just love the story of how the book came about -grins-

 
Copyright © Carving a living dream