November 4, 2012

The timeless treasure

I think back on the week and wonder what I did and it's like I look at my hands and don't have much to show for it. "What did I do with my time?" I question myself. 
I review the week's happenings, straining to remember where time went. Conferences, a free day, a seemingly useless morning in school, English classes, going to church. I feel anxious at the thought of not having done more with all the unusual free time I had this week. And I wonder how I'll be able to fit in new projects this month if I don't even know where my free time went this week...


My stomach feels uneasy. 
"You gave time to others", it startles me. "Did I...?"
"More than usual"
I start feeling comforted as flashes of time spent talking, connecting with, and writing people and loved ones cross my mind. I watched TV with my dad, it was just a half hour, but I hadn't done that for that long in ages. My sister and I talked in the kitchen. My English students and I spent an extra half hour together talking and snacking on chips. I gave of myself in a new place too, this week. I don't watch movies often because I think of my to-do list and feel I don't have the time...but this weekend I watched a wonderful movie titled "Courageous", and mom and I cried together. Concerning someone, I didn't even think I had any forgiving to do but not only did I realize it, I made a huge leap in forgiving them. 
Surely there are many things I wish I had done this week. But I think it's important to realize that not everything that counts can be counted. 
Time will never come to knock on my doorstep and say "I'm here!" So perhaps what I need to do in weeks like this, every day really, is to thank God for my health and capability to do what I did do, my lessons on work ethic learned from the time I didn't spend right, and thank Him for the precious, priceless  time spent connecting with my loved ones. And thank Him that He helped me to not trade that treasure for a minuscule accomplishment or gain that I can't take with me to eternity. 
Thank you, Jesus. 

0 comments:

 
Copyright © Carving a living dream