November 24, 2009

Robinson Crusoe

My literature book seems like a monster to me, but I'm starting to like it. To really like it, looking like a funky lil nerd engrossed in a book. Today I found this:

-From Chapter IV -First weeks on the Island.
And so it happened that dear Crusoe was stuck on an island, his circumstances were pretty awful and he was considering seriously his condition. So he began writing, the best list of "good and bad" in a situation exactly as it was - the best I've seen so far.

Evil:
I am cast upon a horrible, desolate island, void of all hope of recovery.
Good:
But I am alive; and not drowned, as all my ship's company were.

Evil:
I am singled out and separated, as it were, from all the world, to be miserable.
Good:
But I am singled out, too, from all the ship's crew, to be spared from death; and He that miraculously saved me from death can deliver me from this condition.

Evil:
I am divided from mankind-a solitaire; one banished from human society.
Good:
But I am not starved, and perishing on a barren place, affording no sustenance.

Evil:
I have no clothes to cover me.
Good:
But I am in a hot climate, where, if I had clothes, I could hardly wear them.

Evil:
I am without any defence, or means to resist any violence of man or beast.
Good:
But I am cast on an island where I see no wild beasts to hurt me, as I saw on the coast of Africa; and what if I had been shipwrecked there?

Evil:
I have no soul to speak to or relieve me.
Good:
But God wonderfully sent the ship in near enough to the shore, that I have got out as many necessary things as will either supply my wants or enable me to supply myself, even as long as I live.

Upon the whole, here was an undoubted testimony that there was scarce any condition in the world so miserable but there was something negative or something positive to be thankful for in it.

-
Robinson Crusoe (By Daniel Foe, 1719)

And so, reminded of how good life is, I sit to update my blog. I should follow his example in more than one way (winks)

1 comments:

Windy said...

Wow! This post is amazing! I love it! Keep up the good work Steph!!! I love your blog!

 
Copyright © Carving a living dream